Having the healthiest looking skin is not just about using sunscreen and getting a procedure or two down the road. Preventing lines, spots and laxity over decades also takes continued care that may change from season to season. What works best for one person may not be great for the next.
Skin Care Tips from a Dermatologist
My skin is dry, allergy prone (from a lifetime of eczema) and over 55. I am also lazy about using too many products! I limit my regimen to topical formulations that have proven efficacy in well done clinical studies. So here is my winter regimen. It helps me prevent new wrinkles while plumping old ones, fades brown spots, and adds some luminosity to my otherwise greenish pale complexion.
- SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum: If I had to pick only one product, this combo product would absolutely be the one. It combines a protein rich serum made from cell culture extracts (yes, from a neonatal penile foreskin which explains some of the not so G rated nicknames for this product), with an antioxidant moisturizing lotion. First thing in the morning after a shower, on it goes to face, neck and v-neck of the chest. Pricey but worth every penny.
- Melatonik Serum by ISDIN: This new serum has a retinol alternative called bakuchiol. Retinol is great for improving color and texture but the dry and irritated people like me don’t tolerate it very well. Enter Melatonik, a calming serum that performs the functions of retinol without the flaky aftermath. Apply on clean skin every night.
- Sente Dermal Contour Pressed Serum: This amazing product underwent rigorous clinical trials on “mature skin”, and showed impressive results in decreasing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and increasing firmness. It substantially increases the amount of water binding glycosaminoglycans in the dermis which plumps and improves the health of the dermis. I layer this right on top of the Melatonik.
- RestorseaPro Firming Eye Serum: I use all above products around my eye area, but this thin, non-greasy solution goes on first. It has improved the sallow color in the area and adds firmness using only natural ingredients. The most important component is a proprietary ingredient from salmon roe that was discovered because the Norwegian women working in the roe fishery had amazingly soft and young looking hands.
- RestorseaPro LipMagic: It seems my whole life, my lips have been peeling. When I use this product regularly, the lips become smoother, more hydrated and younger looking. I will augment for a night out on the town with SkinMedica’s HA5 Smooth and Plump Lip Treatment if I want to add a little fullness without fillers.
So if you have “mature”, sensitive skin and want to maximize preservation and minimize the damage done, I invite you to try this combo. And don’t forget to add some sunscreen if you are walking the dog or enjoying winter sports.
Take the Next Step
If you have further questions about skin care, we encourage you to schedule a consultation at Krauss Dermatology. Call us at 781-416-3500 or fill out our online contact form. We look forward to meeting you!