1. Continue daily use of sunscreen. The sun is stronger than you think in September and October and it’s a beautiful time to be outdoors. Continue to wear sunscreen SPF 30 and above on a daily basis, which is easy when combined with a tinted moisturizer. We recommend EltaMD Daily SPF 40 (available tinted or not) and Revision Intellishade, which is an antiaging tinted moisturizer.
2. Consider adding a retinoid and/or a glycolic acid product for anti-aging. These incredibly effective products do make skin more sensitive to the sun. We often recommend patients stop them during the sunniest months, unless your skin is accustomed to them. But now it’s time to kick up your regimen, fading brown spots and improving skin texture. Start slowly, just every other day, as these potent products can sometimes be irritating. We love Sente BioComplete Serum with Retinol, and SkinMedica GlyPro Glycolic Face Wash.
3. Moisturize and Hydrate! Dry skin is back now that the humid summer months are gone. Use a non-comedogenic product if you are acne prone such as SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer or a more intense product for combination or dry skin such as SkinMedica Replenish Hydrating Cream and/or SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator (our favorite “feel good” hydrator). Apply on top of your other products at night, and in the morning if you are flaky or feel tight.
Sun Damage Consultations Available
4. Hydrate from the neck down as well and get rid of scaly legs and bumpy arms. Use an intense moisturizer containing glycolic or lactic acid on the legs and arms. These lotions improve the bumpy skin on the back of the upper arms (keratosis pilaris), and the Sahara like scale on the shins. Apply after toweling dry post shower. Our favorites: Glytone Exfoliating Body Lotion, and at your local pharmacy, Amlactin Ultra Body Lotion.
5. Get rid of sun damage with Intense Pulsed Light treatments in our office. These safe, effective light treatments are administered by our experienced laser nurse Chris. They turn back the clock on brown spots, blood vessels and sallowness, leaving glowing younger looking skin without downtime. Economical, safe and comfortable, these treatments are best done in the late fall when you are least exposed to the sun.
Dr. Krauss has been my dermatologist for nearly two decades. Her level of knowledge in the most up to date cosmetic procedures is unsurpassed. I would not trust my skin care in the hands of another professional. My three young adults are patients of Dr. Wise and are just as satisfied.
Highly recommend Krauss Dermatology.