Skip to content Pre-Filler InstructionsKrauss Dermatology2020-08-03T09:34:29-04:00
- To minimize the risk of infection, it is important to avoid dental work, including cleanings, for the 2 weeks before and after your ﬁller procedure.
- Discontinue aspirin for 10 days if possible, and ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and Vitamin E for 5 days prior to the procedure, as these medications will make you more likely to bruise. If you have been prescribed one of these medications, ask your doctor before you stop taking it. Tylenol will not cause bruising and is preferred for the week prior to treatment.
- If you are prone to bruising, you may use oral or topical Arnica preparations as per package instructions. Eating pineapple which contains bromelain can also help a few days prior to the procedure. Vitamin K containing foods such as green leafy vegetables can also be helpful.
- Machine wash any fabric facemasks you will be wearing to avoid wearing soiled masks after the procedure. Make sure your facemasks don’t press into the area you wish to have treated. Blue surgical style disposable masks are generally effective without pressing into the facial areas treated.
- Given facemask wearing during the pandemic, we recommend trying to decrease oral bacteria and its effects on the treated area. You may accomplish this by using mouthwash to swish and spit 2x per day after brushing starting a day or two prior to the procedure and continuing for at least a week post-procedure. Try Crest Pro-Health, Listerine Cool Mint or CloSYS Antibacterial mouthwash to decrease oral bacteria.
- If you wish to use numbing cream, you must apply this before coming into the office. We cannot allow patients to sit with numbing cream in our office for safety reasons during the pandemic. A numbing cream (such as Topicaine) is particularly useful for injections around the mouth/lip area and for fine lines on the cheeks. Apply a thin area 30-45 minutes before your appointment and reapply in your car just before you enter the office. You may pick up a tube in our office a few days before your procedure or order in advance from Amazon.