Skip to content
Pre-Laser Hair InstructionsKrauss Dermatology2019-03-06T17:44:29-05:00
Pre-Laser Hair Instructions
Pre- LHR Treatment Instructions
- Avoid the sun for at least 6 weeks before and after your treatment. Do not use artificial tanners during the week prior to laser hair removal.
- Avoid plucking, waxing, and electrolysis for 3 weeks prior to treatment. These methods remove hair by the roots. If there are no hair roots to absorb the laser energy, the treatment will be less effective. Bleaching and chemical depilatories (Nair) should also be avoided for 2 weeks prior to treatment. Shaving or cutting hair is permitted.
- Shave the area to be treated the day before your appointment. Longer hair will get in the way of the laser and cause increased discomfort.
- If you are having laser hair removal on the face, and you have a history of colds sores or blisters around the mouth or lips (herpes infection), inform your doctor. You will need to take prescription antiviral medications on the day of your treatment.
- A topical numbing cream may decrease discomfort from the procedure. Topicaine, a very effective anesthetic gel, may be purchased in our office. Apply a generous amount of Topicaine 30 minutes before your appointment and rub into the skin. Repeat this application 10 minutes prior to your treatment. No more than a single 30-gram tube should be used in any given day to avoid the danger of lidocaine toxicity.