Skip to content
Post-PDT InstructionsKrauss Dermatology2019-04-22T18:47:50-04:00
- Sun protection including SPF 30 sunscreen with titanium and zinc and a hat are mandatory for at least 48 hours after each treatment. Reapply frequently. We highly recommend Elta Elements, which can be purchased at our office. Avoid direct sunlight to the face even for a minute. Wear sun protection as above even when sitting near a window or in a car. After the first 48 hours, continue using SPF 30 or higher sunscreen.
- Make-up may be put on gently 3-5 days following the procedure unless there is crusting or intense redness.
- Scrubs and facials must be avoided for 1 week after the procedure.
- Retinoids (Retrinal, Retinol, Retin-A, Renova) and glycolic acid products may be restarted after 5 days only if the skin is no longer red, swollen or peeling.
- Light scaling and peeling as well as mild to moderate redness are expected to occur for 2 to 7 days. Any areas of crusting or oozing should be covered at least 3 times per day with Vaseline petroleum jelly or Aquaphor ointment. Notify our office if heavy crusting, pain, intense redness or swelling, or other unwanted side effects occur. Symptomatic relief may be obtained by placing cool tap water compresses on the skin. Compresses made from one cup of cool tap water mixed with one tablespoon of white vinegar may provide additional relief from discomfort if necessary. Advil (ibuprofen) and Tylenol (acetaminophen) can also help alleviate discomfort.